Thursday 11 September 2014

This Business Called Show

Greetings, one and all. It's been another little while, I know, and I'm coming in slightly behind the times, but after thinking about the matter and in light of further recent events, I believe something must be said about how the state of youth involvement in politics can be improved. 

In recent weeks, Conservative Future (CF) held its annual elections to decide the national executive and regional bodies as well. The balloting had improved upon its previous record and so the number of votes returned was rather higher than in recent years. Yet, there seemed to be a pervasive pessimism about certain candidates and practices, all of which have been aired and bear no repetition. However, CCHQ and parliamentary party managers seem to be following a similar line. I shall expand. 

It seems that both in Westminster and the wider country, party managers have decided that backbench MPs, activists and associations cannot now be trusted. MPs are whipped to within an inch of their careers to simply march through the right side of the division lobby. The appearance is now that of a hive, with the drones being given their usual pre-programmed orders to obey. This is not, of course, endemic of the Conservative Party in Parliament; it is almost taken for granted that MPs with their eyes fixed on the greasy pole must give up much of their independent thought and do as they are bid if they are to even have a sniff of becoming a PPS. This is not made any easier in coalition of course, where some jobs apparently have to be given to the Lib Dems; but there we are. 

How, then, does this translate into activists and associations, with particular reference to youth? CCHQ give the outward appearance of willingness to listen, but conspiracy theorists and cynics would tell you (with some accuracy) that it still cannot bear to lift its eyes north of the Watford Gap. The much-vaunted RoadTrip2015 movement has, along with its sister organisation TubeTrip, barely left the southeast. Logical for TubeTrip of course, but the only place anywhere remotely near any northern constituencies for RoadTrip is Birmingham for Conference in two weeks' time. How can CCHQ be so blind to the fact that it is the 40:40 seats (three of which I live near) which need this movement? Or are the safe seats the only focus? When will the Party Chairman get a grip on his runaways and bring them back into line? Associations are frustrated because they are wantonly ignored by the centre which, interestingly, seems engaged in a land grab for more power. 

Now we come to the activists, many of whom are members of CF like me. I may, in fact, make CF the sole focus of this part. I joined the organisation back in 2006 as a wide-eyed first-year at Keele. I met like-minded-people and over the years went on a few campaigns. I still campaign and have held both branch and Area office. Sadly I relinquished the latter along with other officers post recent events. I wanted to make a difference and still do. I believe in the Conservative Party and its leader but not its current management at national level. I have my own mind, thoughts and opinions, which is probably when this goes public I have just scuppered a candidacy. I do hope that things can get better, but for now I'm keeping my activism purely to my council campaign and supporting others in theirs, inclusive of the local 40:40 seats. 

It saddens me when the tattling starts and stories are put about on the gossip site TheBlueGuerilla. As if politicians' activities weren't bad enough, but I believe that the activists and associations must always be above the Westminster hi-jinks. We're the ones who keep things together, attend association fundraisers, go out in all weathers armed with bagfuls of leaflets. We think of our reward as being either our candidate's election or the chance to give another side to the issues of the day, be they local or national. Yet this is not the story told enough to young people, who are vital in keeping the machinery at all levels well-oiled. 

We are better than this and if we are to assure a Conservative victory then we must demonstrate so. 

1 comment: